89.3 WRKF is public radio for Louisiana's capital city. WRKF has informed and entertained Baton Rouge as the region's independent NPR affiliate since 1980. WRKF is a non-profit organization and serves its audience with support from underwriters and donors who value original coverage of Louisiana news and politics along with national and international news coverage from NPR.
WRKF features news and talk programming along with a diverse mix of music and cultural programs like "American Routes" with Nick Spitzer, theater of the mind programs like "This American Life" with Ira Glass, and variety programs like "Wait, Wait, Don't Me" with Peter Sagal. WRKF brings the BBC World Service to Baton Rouge every night. WRKF streams at wrkf.org, through the WRKF App, and on other digital platforms.
"South Louisiana is a place rich with heritage and passionate people. The food, of course, is amazing. But so are the stories. If you’re serious about your journalism and want to make a real difference in people’s lives, this is the job for you."
— Russell Lewis, NPR Southern Bureau Chief (and former New Orleans resident).
WRKF/WWNO Digital News Editor
WRKF in Baton Rouge, along with partner station, WWNO in New Orleans, is seeking a Digital
News Editor to join its regional newsroom and oversee its multi-platform coverage. This position
will also be charged with leading the digital effort for the newsroom’s awarding-winning Coastal
The Digital News Editor is charged with the day-to-day management and workflow of written
content for the WWNO and WRKF websites. The position will also lead the regional
newsroom’s audience engagement strategy and oversee its social media accounts for both
stations. Finally, the Digital News Editor will help coordinate digital coverage for special
projects, including potential podcasts, investigative series and collaborations with other media
outlets. This position will manage the overall digital presentation for both stations.
This is an exciting time to join the WWNO/WRKF regional newsroom, which recently
integrated to combine the journalism efforts of about ten reporters and hosts in two different
markets. This person will have a unique opportunity to shape the digital strategy for this
collaborative newsroom initiative.
As a Digital News Director, you’ll primarily report to the Regional News Director and work
alongside the reporters on the Coastal Desk, as well as other journalists in the regional
newsroom. This position can be based in either Baton Rouge or New Orleans.
Responsibilities for Digital News Editor include:
- Copy edits online news content and manages the daily editorial workflow in the CMS.
- Manages the online presentation of news stories on the WWNO and WRKF websites.
- Oversee newsletter strategy and digital presentation for station events.
- Writes and reports original content when opportunities arise.
- Coordinates online content from the NPR Digital Platform.
- Lead newsroom and station efforts on social media, including Facebook, Twitter,
- Instagram and other emerging platforms.
- Oversee digital content for the Coastal Desk, a multi-person unit dedicated to covering
- coastal erosion in Southern Louisiana.
- Track and analyze all relevant website metrics using NPR Digital Service Analytics and
- other tools, and help identify high engagement content.
- Troubleshoots digital issues.
- Oversee digital presentation for other station events and other activities.
- Oversee production and editorial of news email newsletters
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Fluency in CM, with Corepublisher a plus
- Copyediting skills
- Knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure reach and impact
- Experience working across platforms
- Experience building data visualizations
- Experience in photo/video
- Familiarity with AP style guidelines
Position open till filled - for first review, submit by 10/28/19
We offer attractive, competitive compensation and benefits including, medical, vision and dental
coverage, Life and LTD, paid vacation, personal and sick time.
WRKF is an equal opportunity employer
Email materials to email@example.com, with subject line "Digital News Editor Search." Include Cover Letter, Resume, and Links to at least three digital editing/content examples. No calls please.