89.3 WRKF is public radio for Louisiana's capital city. WRKF has informed and entertained Baton Rouge as the region's independent NPR affiliate since 1980. WRKF is a non-profit organization and serves its audience with support from underwriters and donors who value original coverage of Louisiana news and politics along with national and international news coverage from NPR.
WRKF features news and talk programming along with a diverse mix of music and cultural programs like "American Routes" with Nick Spitzer, theater of the mind programs like "This American Life" with Ira Glass, and variety programs like "Wait, Wait, Don't Me" with Peter Sagal. WRKF brings the BBC World Service to Baton Rouge every night. WRKF streams at wrkf.org, through the WRKF App, and on other digital platforms.
WRKF is an equal opportunity employer.
"South Louisiana is a place rich with heritage and passionate people. The food, of course, is amazing. But so are the stories. If you’re serious about your journalism and want to make a real difference in people’s lives, this is the job for you."
— Russell Lewis, NPR Southern Bureau Chief (and former New Orleans resident).
Managing Producer, Audio
Live and work in Southeastern Louisiana, one of the most culturally dynamic places in the country. NPR member stations WWNO New Orleans Public Radio and WRKF Baton Rouge Public Radio seek an energetic and creative full-time managing producer for Louisiana Considered, the stations’ recently launched collaborative daily news magazine. The show airs live in New Orleans and Baton Rouge and drops as a daily podcast. The show covers unique stories across South Louisiana about the region’s news, politics, coast, culture, music and food, with a little lagniappe in each show. The managing producer will work with the hosts to plan and oversee the coordination of five shows per week. Some shows will focus on a single topic; others will be in a news magazine format with multiple topics/segments. The managing producer will also reconfigure content for re-air when necessary and oversee the digital, social media and podcast efforts for the show.
In addition, the managing producer will coordinate with Morning Edition and All Things Considered hosts for segments and interviews.
The managing Ppoducer has the choice to be based in New Orleans or Baton Rouge.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Suggest and develop daily story ideas and segments with hosts.
- Write air-ready scripts, billboards and promos that are informative and imaginative.
- Oversee the booking of guests for interviews from a diverse pool of people and from a variety of backgrounds.
- In conjunction with the Hosts, respond to listener e-mails, letters and inquiries and assist when needed with answering phones, emails and social media comments during shows. Assist with background research on script, guests, and story ideas.
- Oversee Louisiana Considered’s social media outreach and explore ways to engage listeners on a variety of platforms.
- Coordinate interviews and segments with the morning and afternoon hosts.
- Work with News Director to coordinate special coverage, broadcast specials, regional coverage.
- Experience/Desire to train and operate the on-air control board during show production.
- Fill-in hosting in emergency situations.
- Coordinate the work of a small staff and ensure that the technical aspects of the show and website are executed correctly and in a timely manner.
- At least two years of experience in journalism or broadcast production
- Experience with the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast.
- Excellent writing skills, superb news judgment, great discernment and embracing the highest standards of journalism.
- Able to react quickly and steadily when breaking news requires a sudden pivot from something that had been previously planned.
- Able to coordinate the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast and/or podcast.
- Must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, detail oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Proficient Digital Audio Software editing skills
- Able to motivate other staff members and maintain high production values.
Email cover letter, resume and three references with subject line "Managing Producer" to email@example.com.
Position is open until filled. First review submit by May 31, 2021.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage, Life and LTD, paid vacation, personal/sick time, and retirement plan.
WRKF is an equal opportunity employer.