WRKF Capitol Access Reporter
Live and work in southeast Louisiana, one of the most culturally dynamic places in the country. NPR member station WRKF-FM, Baton Rouge Public Radio, seeks a statehouse reporter to cover the state legislature for both WRKF and partner station, WWNO-FM in New Orleans. The reporter will produce timely coverage of the always interesting Louisiana state government and politics through spot and feature reports, for broadcast and online use. The position is based in Baton Rouge and will include some travel, and the reporter’s work will be published on both WRKF and WWNO sites and stations and branded as Capitol Access. But most importantly, we’re looking for a talented reporter who’s passionate about covering our state’s most crucial issues and constant policy changes.
- Provide regular coverage for online and radio on current events in state government and politics, including daily reports during legislative sessions and longer feature reporting and multi-part series at other times for broadcast and digital.
- Use social media to promote digital stories, find sources and stay in the know on your beat.
- Develop extensive knowledge of Louisiana government, politics and other issues.
- Provide analysis and live two-ways.
- Suggest and produce special projects, segments and live broadcasts.
- Participate in fundraising activities.
- Contribute coverage to public radio networks, including NPR.
- Produce 2-ways and features specifically for our daily news program, Louisiana Considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field or equivalent experience
- Three year’s full-time professional experience in journalism
- Excellent speaking, writing and editing skills
- Experience in broadcast
- Experience using social media to promote and find stories
- Experience producing audio dailies/features for radio
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and five examples of their work to Interim News Director Katelyn Umholtz at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line : State Politics Reporter Search.
Position is open until filled - first review submit by February 27, 2023.
We offer attractive, competitive compensation and benefits including, medical, vision and dental coverage, Life and LTD, paid vacation, personal and sick time.
WRKF is an equal opportunity employer.